Report Presentation: Balkan and Eastern European Comparisons: Building a New Momentum for European Integration of the Balkan and Eastern European Associated States
The event will focus on the recent report by CEPS on “Building a New Momentum for European Integration of the Balkan and Eastern European Associated States”, comparing the path towards EU integration between these two regions.
To attend the presentation please register here in advance – https://us02web.zoom.us/…/reg…/WN_4SyHr0Z9RheTxrKgO5RK9A
The study advocates a new momentum for the European integration of both Balkan and East European associated states. Both the enlargement and neighbourhood policies are at best stagnating. The perceived incentives for reforms in line with European norms and values are too weak or uncertain. The study proposes enhancing the ‘more for more’ principle with quantification and benchmarking of ratings for all chapters of the relationships with the EU. A major proposed innovation is that in addition to ongoing sectoral and functional integration, the EU should officer partial and progressive institutional integration, conditional on performance in relation to the ratings, as a more constructive approach than the present ‘all or nothing’ method of accession.
The event will be held in English.
16.00-16.15 – Welcome remarks
- Dr. Kornely Kakachia, Director, Georgian Institute of Politics.
- Andrius Kubilius, MEP (EPP, Lithuania), Co-Chair of the Delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly.
16.15-16.35 – Presentation of the report
- Michael Emerson, Associate Senior Research Fellow, Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS).
- Dr. Tinatin Akhvlediani, Researcher, Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS).
16.35-17.05 – Comments by:
- Maka Botchorishvili, MP, Chair, EU Integration Committee; Co-Chair, Euronest Parliamentary Assembly.
- H.E. Carl Hartzel, Head of Mission, EU Delegation (TBC).
- Salome Shapakidze, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Georgia.
- Vano Chkhikvadze, EU Integration Program Manager, Open Society Georgia Foundation.
17.05-17.30 – Discussion with civil society, experts and policy makers, Q&A.
Moderator: Dr. Stefan Meister, Head of the Heinrich Boell Foundation Tbilisi Office – South Caucasus Region.