Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Under the framework of the GIP project “Analyzing Geopolitical Shifts in the South Caucasus,” funded by the Heinrich Boell Foundation Tbilisi Office – South Caucasus Region (HBF), GIP selected six young researchers from the South Caucasus states to support them in writing the policy briefs on the geopolitical shirt in the region. The policy briefs published in 2022 respond to the following questions:
- To what extent is it realistic to expect the EU’s enrollment in the South Caucasus as a geopolitical/security actor?
- How could Ukraine-related sanctions evolve the Middle Corridor into a viable transport route in the East-West trade?
- How to balance the regional hegemony of Russia and the EU’s Eastern Partnership Program in Armenia’s foreign policy after the war in Ukraine?
- What is the South Caucasus’ role in fulfilling the European Union’s quest for energy diversification?
The aim of developing these papers was to assess the changing geopolitical and security environment in the South Caucasus, including the role of regional actors such as Turkey and Russia. Through this project, the GIP, together with the HBF, contributed to developing an informed policy approach towards Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan and its consequences for the EU’s impact on the region. It also aimed to increase the quality of research and the debate on geopolitical changes.
Out of six selected young researchers, five developed the following policy briefs with recommendations, which have been presented to the relevant stakeholders at the online public discussion.
View Documents 🔗
- Mahammad Mammadov – Implications of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine for the emergence of the Middle Corridor as a viable route for East-West trade
➡ ENG | AZE
- Erekle Iantbelidze – Strengthening the Europeanization of the South Caucasus: Can Georgia Promote EU Interests in the Region?
- Lela Kankadze – The EU’s Quest for Energy Diversification: Limitations of the Southern Gas Corridor
➡ ENG | GEO
- Harutyun Voskanyan – Limitations on Cooperation with the EU: Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine and Consequences for Armenian Foreign Policy
➡ ENG | ARM
- Magda Arsenyan – Revisiting EU-Armenia Relations Amid Changing Geopolitical Realities: What Future to Expect?